The guide below will show you how to install RaspEX on a Raspberry Pi. I am using an RPi 4 (4GB) but it will also work on RPi 4 (1&2GB) 3/3B+, and 2. If you are installing just to use Kodi then the lower versions are fine but if you really want to get more out of this then the RPi4 4GB is highly recommended. If it is just for Kodi then the lower versions are fine. But this is a great way of making a cheap home computer.
It goes without saying that when using Kodi or doing just about anything online you need to protect yourself with a VPN. By using a VPN from IP Vanish you’ll ensure that you remain anonymous online and completely safe from prying eyes. Whilst online and using a VPN everything that you do will be encrypted. Credit card details and browsing history will remain safe and secure. Don’t risk your security or privacy. Get yourself a VPN from IPVanish today. Buy a 12 month subscription and get a massive discount. Sign up to IPVanish by clicking here
RaspEX Kodi is based on Debian, Raspbian and Kodi Media Center. In RaspEX Kodi the dev has added the LXDE Desktop with many useful applications such as VLC Media Player and NetworkManager. This makes it easy to configure your wireless network. The dev has also upgraded Kodi to version 18.3 "Leia", which makes it possible to include useful addons such as Netflix, Plex and Amazon Video.
Before we delve too deep into this article I think it’s best to remind those familiar with Kodi (and those new to it) that it’s an ever-evolving system. Due to the nature of the beast many add-ons come and go, most often without warning or fanfare. Most of the time you won’t even be aware that your favourite add-on has been shut down as it will often continue to work, but as time goes by you’ll begin to notice fewer and fewer links are working. This is simply due to the add-on being abandoned and new fresh links not being picked up. That’s why it’s super important to stay on top of the game and check here on a regular basis for new Kodi add-on releases. Again, if your favourite addon no longer works it’s not a problem with your device or Kodi, the individual behind the add-on has simply walked away from developing it further to keep it running
- Raspberry Pi (Raspberry Pi 4 recommended)
- Power supply
- MicroSD card (8GB+ Recommended)
- HDMI cable
- Internet connection
- keyboard & mouse
- Image mounting software like Etcher
How to Install RaspEX Kodi:
- Set your RPi up: Add keyboard and mouse (you can get cheap wireless ones online), connect to monitor, plug in power supply, add ethernet connection, you can also use a wifi dongle and connect to the internet by clicking on the network symbol top right when RaspEX is installed
- Place your microSD card in your PC/Mac as we need to install the image to this later
- Download RaspEX Kodi (2.3GB Download)
- Unzip the RaspEX Kodi file so you have a .img file
- If you don’t have any image mounting software then go to Techspot and download a version of Etcher that is suitable for the computer you are using
- Install the version of Etcher you have just downloaded, open it and select Select Image
Navigate to where you extracted the RaspEX Kodi .img file and select it
Etcher should now show details of the image file.
- Now select Select target and then choose your microSD card and select Continue. You may not need to do this as Etcher may have already detected your card. You can also click on change here if it has picked up an incorrect card
- Now select Flash and let Etcher do its thing
- The install will probably take an hour or so. So go and pour yourself a tipple, take your dogs for a walk or do something else you enjoy whilst it flashes. Once flashed Validation of the file will begin to ensure everything is ok
- If completed correctly you will view a message saying Flash Complete – 1 Successful Device
- Now eject the microSD from your computer and place it into the microSD slot on your RPi and the installation will begin and then you will view the RaspEX desktop. You can now begin using it as a desktop computer or get Kodi up and running
I recommend using a VPN to help keep yourself anonymous and protect yourself online. You can get 25% off any package from IPVanish & 20% off any Strong VPN Package which allow you to connect 5 devices to an encrypted VPN connection at any one time.
- Native apps for Android TV, Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, and more OS’
- Access all Kodi add-ons anonymously
- Tier 1 hardware (no speed slowdown)
- Prevent ISP Throttling
- Log-free, so you can’t be tracked
- 7 day money back guarantee
- The ability to be configured right at your router, for a hassle-free experience.
You can use these links to get an extra discount to try a VPN out
That concludes our tutorial. We hope that you found it informative and useful. Please remember to check back here on a regular basis for more guides, tips, tricks and latest information.
Now, we have already mentioned this, but it will not hurt repeating it . If you do not have a VPN you should really get one ASAP. We recommend two VPN providers based on their superior quality of support and blazing fast speeds. They’re ExpressVPN, arguably the fastest VPN provider around, and IPVanish, the ideal value for money VPN you will find. The longer you pay for originally, the cheaper the service becomes.
Access services like Netflix from different areas
Secure your identity when surfing online
Enjoy a safer browsing and Internet shopping experience through high traffic traffic protection
and much more…
Get onto one now!
Our TV Boxes
(All prices in Australian dollars)
Are you looking for a TV box for your Kodi experience?
Why not take a look at one of out amazing deals? With reliable boxes starting well under $100 they're an item not to be missed, and yes, we will ship worldwide. But if you are concerned about a power supply matching your country, fear not. Although our TV boxes come with an AU power supply, you can power the boxes with a 2 amp USB lead. All you have to do is connect the closest USB port to the power input to a 2 amp power supply and you have power.